Do I need to hire an attorney for my municipal case?

No.  You may represent yourself (this is called “pro se”), but you must follow all the rules and procedures of court in the same way an attorney would.  If you decide to act pro se, please understand that the court staff and the prosecutor can help with some procedural issues, but will be unable to give you any legal advice.  The city attorney or prosecutor cannot give you any advice.  You may consult with a private attorney if you wish.  If you are seeking advice and are not sure where to look, the Wisconsin State Bar has a telephone service that can help you decide.  Call:  (800)362-9082.

Show All Answers

1. What do I do if I get a citation for a Green Bay municipal ordinance violation, including traffic citations issued by the Green Bay Police Department?
2. What if I don’t pay my fine by the due date?
3. It says “no mandatory appearance” on my ticket. What does that mean?
4. How do I get a public defender?
5. Do I need to hire an attorney for my municipal case?
6. What does the city prosecutor do?
7. I cannot attend my court date. Can I reschedule?
8. I am the victim of someone charged in Municipal Court. How do I get restitution?
9. How can I contact Municipal Court?