What is Storm Water Management?
When it rains or snows, the amount of water that is absorbed back into the environment varies largely on whether the land is paved or natural. Rain and snow on natural or undeveloped land gradually infiltrates into the soil, replenishing groundwater supplies and slowly discharging excess runoff to local waterways. In contrast, as we pave roads and sidewalks, construct buildings or add other impervious surfaces, the amount of water that can be naturally absorbed after a rain or snow event is reduced drastically.
Water that cannot infiltrate into the surrounding environment is called runoff. In order to prevent our communities from flooding, runoff is diverted into the "storm drainage system" (a network of structures, channels and underground pipes that carry storm water (rain water) to ponds, creeks, streams and rivers).
As part of the City's MS4 General Permit to manage storm water, Public Works wants to provide information and help educate residents on storm water related issues. Public Works aims to raise awareness of the effects of storm water pollution and help educate residents on how they can be part of the solution.
Storm Water Management Plans
Storm water management plans are required for proposed development and redevelopment projects when they meet the applicability requirements of Municipal Code Chapter 16, Article III.
The following information must be included in the site plan submittal package when a project is required to meet the Municipal Code Chapter 16, Article III requirements:
- Site Plan
- City Storm Water Application Form
- City Storm Water Maintenance Agreement
- City Storm Water Plan PE Certification Form
- City Storm Water Summary Form
- Storm Water Management Plan
- Other documents needed to show compliance
- Clean Water Starts With You (PDF)
- What You Can Do (PDF)
- Illicit Discharge (PDF)
- Prevention for Developer and Consultant (PDF)
- Pollution Prevention for Businesses (PDF)
- Storm Water Pollution & Erosion Control (PDF)
- Erosion Control Plan Submittal Checklist (PDF)
- Erosion Control Permit Application (PDF)
- Stormwater Management Permit Application
- Stormwater Management Summary
- Certification of Stormwater Management Plan
- Stormwater Management Post-Construction Certification
- Stormwater Credit Application
- Stormwater Maintenance Agreement
- 2023 ARPA City of Green Bay Innovative Stormwater Improvements Grant (PDF)