Concrete Sidewalk Builder's License

An annual Concrete Sidewalk Builder's License is required of a business or person who wishes to construct or reconstruct any sidewalk within the public right-of-way in the City of Green Bay limits.

Blank application forms can be printed from this website or obtained in person from the City Clerk's Office.

Process for Approval

Application approval by the City may take up to 3 or more weeks. The process for approval of the application is as follows:

  1. City Clerk refers application to the City's Improvement and Services Committee.
  2. Department of Public Works makes a recommendation to the Improvement and Services Committee to approve the application based on previous licenses held or reference checks if a license has never been held.
  3. Application is then reported to Common Council for final approval.
  4. Risk Management reviews bond and certificate of insurance for proper coverage.
  5. License is approved and mailed to applicant from the City Clerk's Office.

A license is current from when you receive your license until the end of that calendar year (December 31) per City Ordinance.

Obtaining a License

The following is the procedure to obtain a City of Green Bay concrete Sidewalk Builder's License:

  1. Submit the completed application form and required application fee (cash or check only - no credit cards) to the City Clerk's Office. If you are a first-time applicant and have never held a concrete Sidewalk Builder's License in the City of Green Bay before, then you will need to provide a list of 3 references with a contact name, company/agency name, telephone number and email address on the application at the time of submission. 
  2. Submit a $5,000 surety or license and permit bond and a certificate of insurance with evidence of $1,000,000 comprehensive general liability which also shows the City of Green Bay as additionally insured to the Risk Management Office.
  3. You must purchase or create a concrete stamp. The stamp must be made of metal and display your business name and the current year in order to be accepted. Bring the concrete stamp for review to the Department of Public Works Office.

After Obtaining License

After you receive your license, you must come to the Department of Public Works Office each time you will be doing work in order to:

  • Obtain an Excavation Permit to construct or reconstruct any apron in the right-of-way (fees apply and will be invoiced at a later date).
  • Obtain a free Sidewalk Grade Permit to construct or reconstruct any sidewalk in the right-of-way. This will show the sidewalk grade for that specific address/location.
  • Obtain a free Obstruction Permit since you will be obstructing the sidewalk and may occupy other parts of the right of way (i.e. travel or parking lanes, terrace, etc.)
  • Barricade the work area in compliance with the Traffic Control Manual for Street Construction and Maintenance Operation in the City of Green Bay, which is issued by the Department of Public Works.

Please make sure you have each property address along with the date(s) of work at the time of obtaining your permits.

Clean Up

Concrete debris or broken concrete from reconstruction is the responsibility of the licensee and must be removed by the licensee. The City does not and will not collect this material.

Additional Information

Here’s a current list of Sidewalk Builders (PDF) that have obtained licenses through the City of Green Bay for the current year.

Any questions, please contact Public Works, City Clerk or Risk Management.