Tree & Brush Trimmer License

An annual Tree and Brush Trimmer's License is required of a business or person who wishes to trim, cut or grind trees, branches, brush, leaves, stumps, or roots within private property in the City of Green Bay limits.

Blank application forms can be printed from this website or obtained in person from the City Clerk's Office.

Process for Approval

Application approval by the City may take up to 3 or more weeks. The process for approval of the application is as follows:

  1. City Clerk refers application to the City's Improvement and Service Committee.
  2. Department of Public Works makes a recommendation to the Improvement and Service Committee to approve the application.
  3. Risk Management reviews bond and certificate of insurance for proper coverage.
  4. License is mailed to applicant from the City Clerk's Office.

A license is current from when you receive your license until the end of that calendar year (December 31) per City Ordinance.

Obtaining a License

The following is the procedure to obtain a City of Green Bay Tree and Brush Trimmer's License:

  1. Submit the completed application form and required application fee (cash or check only - no credit cards) to the City Clerk's Office.  If you are a first-time applicant and have never held a concrete Tree and Brush Trimmer's License in the City of Green Bay before, then you will need to provide a list of 3 references with a contact name, company/agency name, telephone number and email address on the application at the time of submission.
  2. Submit a $1,000 cash or performance bond to the Risk Management Office.

After Obtaining License

After you receive your license, you must come to the Department of Public Works Office each time you will be doing work in order to:

  • Obtain a free Obstruction Permit since you will be obstructing the sidewalk and may occupy other parts of the right of way (i.e. travel or parking lanes, terrace, etc.)
  • Barricade the work area in compliance with the Traffic Control Manual for Street Construction and Maintenance Operation in the City of Green Bay, which is issued by the Department of Public Works.

Clean Up

Tree, branch, brush, stump, leaf, root, chip and/or mulch debris is the responsibility of the licensee and must be removed by the licensee. The City does not and will not collect this material.

Additional Information

Here’s a current list of Tree Trimmers (PDF) that have obtained licenses through the City of Green Bay for the current year.

Any questions, please contact Public Works, City Clerk or Risk Management.