Single Trip Application / Permit

A Single Trip Application/Permit (PDF), also known as an Oversize-Overweight Application/Permit, is required for any load transported on any street within the City limits of Green Bay which exceeds statutory weight or dimension limits, even if another permit such as a State or County permit has already been issued. By granting this permit, the applicant is given permission to transport an oversize-overweight load on the designated route under the restrictions set forth on the permit document.

Instructions for a Single Trip Application / Permit

Prior to approval of any permit, it is the responsibility of the applicant to:

  • Propose a route through the City of Green Bay on the application. The Department of Public Works (DPW) - Traffic Division will review the proposed route, and may assist the mover in determining the best and shortest route. If the approved route affects other transportation agencies such as Brown County Public Works Department or the Wisconsin Department of Transportation, the Department of Public Works-Traffic Division will refer the mover to those agencies, as they have a separate permitting process.
  • Arrange and pay all costs for temporary removal of obstructions along the approved route which will impede safe and expedient movement of the load through the City Obstructions include but are not limited to street signs, traffic signal equipment, street lights, sign bridges, overhead communication/phone cables, fiber optic cables, cable television wires, overhead power lines, and trees/foliage. If there are City-owned items which must be moved, the applicant may be required to post a surety bond in the estimated amount of the City's cost to assist with the move.
  • Provide complete and correct information on the permit application form
  • Submit a legible profile drawing of the load/vehicle/trailer assembly identifying all axle spacing and axle loading information, if requested
  • Maintain a current insurance certificate with the City of Green Bay - Risk Management Department. Their phone number is 920-448-3125
  • Keep a copy of the approved permit in the cab of the towing vehicle during all times of transport
  • Adhere to the route approved on the permit
  • Abide by all other restrictions placed on the move as noted on the permit

Submitting the Permit

All Single Trip Applications/Permits (PDF) shall be completed and submitted to the Department of Public Works Traffic Division for approval at least 3 working days prior to the requested move date. Information requested on the permit application form shall be provided for every load, regardless of the complexity of the load. If the load being transported is a structure, the City of Green Bay reserves the right to view the structure on dollies or other means of transport prior to approving the permit. 

This permit may be extended 1 time by permission of the City of Green Bay with at least 2 working days advance notice.

Ways to Submit

The completed application shall be submitted by fax at 920-448-3102 (All faxes shall be sent in the highest quality mode allowed by the sending fax machine), email, or mailed to:
City of Green Bay Department of Public Works
100 N Jefferson Street
Room 300
Green Bay, WI 54301

Additional Information

If you have any questions please call 920-448-3100.