Residential Permits

  1. Building Permit
  2. Electrical Permit
  3. HVAC Permit
  4. Plumbing Permit

Building Permit - Contractor vs Home Owner

To obtain a building permit in the City of Green Bay, a contractor must carry the State of Wisconsin Dwelling Contractor Certification and a Dwelling Contractor Qualifier Certification from the Department of Safety and Professional Services. Prior to issuing a local building permit on a one or two-family dwelling, the City is required by the State to verify that a contracting business owner possesses or employs at least one individual who holds both certifications. If you have any questions regarding these certifications, contact the State of Wisconsin Licensing Department at 608-261-8500.

An inspection is required by the City upon completion of work. The owner of an existing single-family dwelling where he/she resides may obtain a building permit for work in that dwelling. Access the building permits. You can also view the instructions for online payments (PDF) and make an online payment for a building permit (requires project number from Inspection Department).