Underground Sprinkler System

Chapter 6.35

An annual Underground Sprinkler System License is required of a business or person who wishes to install, replace, repair, or relocate any lawn sprinkler system. Please appear in person for this license. View Chapter 6.35 Underground Sprinkler Systems.

Process for Approval

Application approval by the City may take up to 3 or more weeks. The process for approval of the application is as follows:

  1. City Clerk refers application to the City's Improvement and Service Committee.
  2. Department of Public Works makes a recommendation to the Improvement and Services Committee to approve the application based on previous licenses held or reference checks if a license has never been held.
  3. Application is then reported to Common Council for final approval.
  4. Risk Management signs off on approved application.
  5. License is mailed to applicant from the City Clerk's Office.

A license is current from when you receive your license until the end of that calendar year (December 31) per City Ordinance.

Obtaining a License

The following is the procedure to obtain a City of Green Bay Underground Sprinkler System License:

1. Submit the completed application form and required application fee (cash or check only - no credit cards) to the City Clerk's Office.  If you are a first-time applicant and have never held an Underground Sprinkler System License in the City of Green Bay before, then you will need to provide a list of 3 references with a contact name, company/agency name, telephone number and email address on the application at the time of submission.

After Obtaining License

After you receive your license, you must come to the Department of Public Works Office each time you will be doing work in order to:

  • Obtain a free Obstruction Permit if you will be obstructing the sidewalk and if you may be occupying other parts of the right-of-way (i.e. travel or parking lanes, terrace, etc.)
  • Barricade the work area in compliance with the Traffic Control Manual for Street Construction and Maintenance Operation in the City of Green Bay, which is issued by the Department of Public Works.

Clean Up

Any debris produced is the responsibility of the licensee and must be removed by the licensee. The City does not and will not collect this material.

Additional Information

Here’s a current list of Underground Sprinkler Systems (PDF) that have obtained licenses through the City of Green Bay for the current year.

Any questions, please contact Inspections, Public Works, City Clerk or Risk Management.