- Other Licenses
- M - Z
- Tree & Brush Trimmer License
Tree & Brush Trimmer License
An annual Tree and Brush Trimmer License is required of a business or person who wishes to trim, cut, or grind trees, branches, brush, stumps, or roots within private property in the City of Green Bay limits. View Section 10-599.
Process for Approval
Application approval by the City may take up to 3 or more weeks. The process for approval of the application is as follows:
- City Clerk refers application to the City's Improvement and Services Committee.
- Department of Public Works makes a recommendation to the Improvement and Services Committee to approve the application based on previous licenses held or reference checks if a license has never been held
- Application is then reported to Common Council for final approval.
- Risk Management reviews bond for proper coverage.
- License is approved and mailed to applicant from the City Clerk's Office.
A license is current from when you receive your license until the end of that calendar year (December 31) per City Ordinance.
Obtaining a License
The following is the procedure to obtain a City of Green Bay Tree and Brush Trimmer's License:
- Submit the completed application form and required application fee to the City Clerk's Office. If you are a first-time applicant and have never held a Tree and Brush Trimmer's License in the City of Green Bay before, then you will need to provide a list of 3 references with a contact name, company/agency name, telephone number and email address on the application at the time of submission.
- Submit a $1,000 cash or performance bond to the Risk Management Office.
After Obtaining License
After you receive your license and each time you will be doing work, you must:
- Obtain a free Obstruction Permit online if you will be obstructing the sidewalk or other parts of the right-of-way (i.e. travel or parking lanes, terrace, etc.)
- Barricade the work area in compliance with the Traffic Control Manual for Street Construction and Maintenance Operation in the City of Green Bay, which is issued by the Department of Public Works.
Tree, branch, brush, stump, leaf, root, chip and/or mulch debris is the responsibility of the licensee and must be removed by the licensee. The City does not and will not collect this material.
Here’s a current list of Tree Trimmers (PDF) that have obtained licenses through the City of Green Bay for the current year.
Any questions, please contact Public Works, City Clerk or Risk Management.