What number should I call if I need the fire department?

For any emergency, you should dial 9-1-1. This will connect you with the Brown County Public Safety Communications Dispatch Center. They will determine the proper agency and type of equipment that needs to respond to your situation. Be prepared to answer the call taker's questions about your location and what type of problem you're having.

For a non-emergency situation dial (920) 448-3200. If your question is for a fire department administrator, see the telephone numbers listed on our Contact Information page. Please note that fire department administrative numbers are only answered Monday through Friday, during the hours 8:00 a.m. through 4:30 p.m.

I called for an ambulance, why did the fire truck respond?

In the City of Green Bay and the Village of Allouez, the ambulances (rescue squads) are part of the fire department. Only five of Green Bay Metro's eight stations have an ambulance. All fire engines are equipped with oxygen, defibrillators, and medical supplies; the firefighters are trained to deliver emergency medical care prior to the arrival of the ambulance (nearly all firefighters on GBMFD are paramedics or Emergency Medical Technicians). Many times the engines arrive minutes before the ambulance. The firefighters also assist the paramedics in lifting and moving patients from the basement or second story of the home to the ambulance.

I'd like to become a Green Bay firefighter, what do I need to do?

Firefighter recruitment is handled by the City of Green Bay's Human Resources Department. The annual recruitment process usually begins in the Fall, with the advertisement for firefighters in local papers, trade journals, and on the City's website. See the Employment Information site for details.

How can I get a burning permit?

Green Bay's Municipal Code strictly prohibits open burning of any kind. To dispose of rubbish, building materials, or garden materials see the Department of Public Works website. Any person found responsible for open burning will be issued a municipal court citation.

Why do the firefighters take the fire trucks to the grocery store?

The firefighters are working a 24-hour shift, beginning at 7:00 a.m. each day. They're required to purchase their own meals and typically pool their money for the day's two meals. They follow a work rule that limits their grocery shopping to one unit at a time at a grocery store located in their fire district. The units are always available to respond when they're at the grocery store. A side benefit is that it gives younger firefighters the opportunity to drive the apparatus in non-emergency conditions, preparing themselves for the promotion to driver/operator.

Why are fire hydrants painted different colors?

Fire hydrants are color-coded to provide information to the firefighters. The color represents the size of the water main, which determines the amount of water that flows from the hydrant.

Who takes care of the fire hydrants?

Fire hydrants are installed and maintained by the Green Bay Water Utility. Water customers pay a "Public Fire Protection" charge on their quarterly water bills. This money is not available to the fire department or used to pay for any service provided by the fire department. It is collected and used by the Water Utility to pay for the installation and maintenance of fire hydrants, as well as the water that is used to control fires in our community.

Why does the fire department inspect buildings?

The fire department inspects buildings to ensure they remain free from hazards that may endanger the occupants. The inspections are required by Wisconsin Statutes and Administrative Codes. Most buildings are inspected twice a year. The inspections are performed by both the firefighters working in the fire stations and fire prevention officers, who have special training in building construction, fire detection and alarm systems, and fire suppression systems.