Housing & Zoning Inspection

The Housing/Zoning division is responsible for questions regarding City ordinances relating to land use, setback requirements, sign permitting, parking requirements on private property, and floodplain determinations.  They address complaints concerning housing condition, simple building code violations, improper disposal of waste material, litter, and rubbish problems.  The Housing/Zoning Inspector processes applications for variances of the zoning code, issues permits for signs and fences, razing of structures, and building permits for small accessory structures.

The City of Green Bay is committed to maintaining our neighborhoods.  If you have a concern or complaint about your neighborhood, please contact us by phone at (920) 448-3300, email (inspmail@greenbaywi.gov), or fill out an online report. If you have a landlord tenant issue, please fill out a form.

If you need to reference the City of Green Bay’s Municipal Codes, those can be found here.

Homeowner’s Responsibility

The appearance and safety of the property reflects on the appearance of the neighborhood and the welfare of the occupants. No person shall occupy as owner-occupant or rent to another any housing unit that does not comply with the following requirements

  • Foundations, exterior wall, roofs in good state of maintenance and repair
  • Interior walls, floors, ceilings in good state of repair and so maintained as to be kept clean and sanitary.
  • Rain water drains away from building and not causing dampness to the building
  • Windows, door, hatchways shall be weather-tight and well maintained in good working condition.
  • Protection of exterior wood surfaces against decay by paint or other approved protective coating applied in a proper fashion
  • Stairway and porches shall be safe and kept in sound condition and repair
  • Supplied plumbing fixtures shall be properly installed and maintained in good working condition and in accordance with the plumbing code.
  • Chimneys and vent pipes shall be adequately supported, reasonably clean, and maintained in good state of repair and in accordance with the heating code.
  • Bathroom and toilet room floors shall be maintained as to permit such floor to be kept in a clean and sanitary condition.
  • Supplied facilities that are required by the housing code shall be so constructed or installed that they will function properly and shall be maintained in good condition.
  • Pest extermination whenever infestation exists in two or more dwelling units in any dwelling or in the shared or public areas of the dwelling or property or whenever infestation is caused by failure of the owner to maintain the dwelling in a rat-proof or insect-proof condition.
  • Cleanliness of public and common areas of multi-unit dwellings shall be maintained in a clean and sanitary condition.
  • Vacant dwelling units to be clean and sanitary and to comply with all provisions of the housing code before being rented for occupancy.

Occupant’s Responsibility

  • Cleanliness of the dwelling unit and premises, which is occupied or controlled, shall be maintained in a clean and sanitary condition.
  • Disposal of garbage and rubbish shall be performed in a clean and sanitary manner by placing it in proper garbage storage containers and disposing of it as required by Chapter 9, Green Bay Municipal Code.
  • Hanging screen shall be maintained and be in place at all times when flies or other insects are present.
  • Extermination of pests shall be the responsibility of the occupant of a single dwelling unit or within a dwelling unit of a multi-unit building whenever the unit is the only one infested and caused by the occupant. Whenever the infestation is caused by failure of the owner to maintain a dwelling in a rat-proof and insect-proof condition, extermination shall be the responsibility of the owner.
  • Use and operation of supplied plumbing fixtures shall be maintained in a clean and sanitary condition, and occupant is responsible for reasonable care in the proper use and operation thereof.
  • Destruction, multilation, and defacing of property shall be the responsibility of the occupant for the repair or replacement of any part of required residential real estate, required residential supplied fixtures and equipment, required supplied furnishing, and other required property of the owner when such has been willfully or wantonly damaged, multilated, or defaced by the occupant.


Site and Property Maintenance Requirements

Property Maintenance

Posting Building Numbers
The numbers must be block or Arabic form, substantially contrasting to the background and at least 4″ in height. Building numbers must also be posted on the back of the structure or on the garage when facing an alley.

Maintenance of Exteriors
All areas of the exterior of home must be maintained including roof, siding, gutters, downspouts and paint.

Maintenance of Garages
Garages must be rodent-proof condition meaning all doors and windows must be intact and must be able to be closed tightly. There can be no holes anywhere in the structure.

Portable Storage Structures Prohibited
Portable Structures, enclosed by walls of fabric or plastic film, are prohibited in residential districts of the City of Green Bay per Section 13-615. Green Bay Zoning Code.  **Structures will be ordered to be taken down.

Maintenance of Fences
Every fence either shall be kept in a reasonably good state of maintenance and repair or shall be removed.

Sump Pump Discharge
Green Bay Municipal Code requires sump pump discharge water to be directed so that it is not a nuisance and not toward a public sidewalk.

Right-of-Way Maintenance

Snow Shoveling
Snow must be shoveled from public walks adjacent to your property within 24- hours of a snowfall. Failure to do so may result in the City removing your snow/ice and billing you.

Driveway Aprons Not Paved
Driveway aprons (from curb to sidewalk) shall be surfaced with 6″ of concrete or with 2″ of asphalt over a 6″ gravel or crushed stone base.

Garbage and Waste Removal

Garbage Set Out
Any solid waste, when placed out for collection, shall be out by 6:00 A.M. from June 1 through August 31 and shall be out by 7:00 A.M. from September 1 through May 31 on the scheduled day of collection, but shall not be placed out more than 12 hours before collection day and shall be removed not more than 12 hours after collection day. Solid waste for collection shall be placed along the curb line immediately adjacent to the property, which has generated the solid waste (not in alleys or on snow banks). When a full day holiday falls on regular workday garbage and recycling collection will be delayed by one day for any days remaining in that week. When disposing of refrigerators and freezers, always remove the doors.
For more information, visit the Operations Division of Public Works.

Solid Waste Collection Between Collection Days
Garbage, recycling, yard waste, or refuse during time period between collection days shall be stored in an enclosed structure or building, or stored in ridged metal or plastic containers (with covers), which are screened from view of the street. Solid waste shall NOT be stored in the front of a building; side of a building; on, under, or along side of a front porch, stoop, steps, landing, accessible ramp, or deck facing the street; or within 15 feet of the right of way except during collection time periods.

Accumulation of Garbage and Recycling
All garbage and/or recyclables must be set to the curb for collection on the next collection day. An accumulation of garbage/litter can result in the City of Green Bay coming and cleaning the property at the cost of the property owner.

Anti-litter ordinance states that no person shall throw or deposit litter on any occupied private property within the City, whether owned by such person or not. It is the owner’s responsibility to maintain the premises free of litter.

Animal Waste
No person who possesses an animal shall permit such animal to defecate upon any property other than that of its owner or custodian unless the custodian immediately thereafter cleans up and removes such animal excreta from such property. No person possessing an animal shall permit more than 24 hours accumulation of such animal’s manure to remain on property under the possessor’s control. (The City collection service will not pick up animal manure.)

Yard Waste
Lawn clippings, tree cuttings, and other organic yard waste must be disposed of at a designated City drop-off site or composted in a managed manner. Storage of a non-confined mulch pile is prohibited. West Side residents can bring their yard waste to 1470 Hurlbut Street and East Side residents can bring their yard waste to 2530 East Shore Drive. Summer hours (April-November) including weekends and holidays are 8 a.m. to Sunset. Winter hours (December through March) are Saturdays only 8 a.m. to Sunset.
For more information, visit the Operations Division of Public Works.

Exterior Storage

Stored Vehicles
Vehicle(s) stored on a property must be licensed and operable. If vehicles are not properly licensed and operable they must be stored inside or removed from the property. Vehicles not in compliance may be towed at vehicle owners expense and the property owner may be issued a citation.

Parking on Grass
No motor vehicle shall be parked on the grass, except for Packer home games.

Wood shall not be considered rubbish where it is stored for residential use under these terms and conditions:
Front Yard Storage. No firewood shall be permitted in a front yard as defined at 13.23(4), Green Bay
Municipal Code.
Rear and Side Yard Storage. Firewood may be stored in a side or rear yard only in the following manner

1. Stacking: All firewood shall be ranked and well stowed, with due regard to stability.
2. Height: Firewood stacks shall not be in excess of 4′ in height unless such stack is adjacent to and amply supported by a fence or structure. Where the firewood is so supported, the stack shall not be in excess of 6′.
3. Setback: No firewood shall be permitted within 4′ of an adjoining property line, unless the firewood is stored in a box or building.


Vegetation Maintenance

Unsightly Growth
The owner, occupant, or person in control of any residential lot or property residential lot shall not allow, permit, or maintain the growth of grass, hay, brambles, brush, reeds, rushes, cat tails, or any combination thereof, or any unsightly growth, to a height of over 9″.

The City of Green Bay removes brush year-round. Branches, limbs and cuttings from trees, and shrubs, stumps shall be cut in lengths of eight (8) feet. Remove root balls. Any size whole, untrimmed natural Christmas trees (without a mounting stand) will be collected.
For more information, visit the Operations Division of Public Works.

Yard Waste
Lawn clippings, tree cuttings, and other organic yard waste must be disposed of at a designated City drop-off site or composted in a managed manner. Storage of a non-confined mulch pile is prohibited. West Side residents can bring their yard waste to 1470 Hurlbut Street and East Side residents can bring their yard waste to 2530 East Shore Drive. Summer hours (April-November) including weekends and holidays are 8 a.m. to Sunset. Winter hours (December through March) are Saturdays only 8 a.m. to Sunset.
For more information, visit the Operations Division of Public Works.


Rummage Sales
Rummage sales shall be limited to a total of no more than 3 events for a total of nine (9) days of operation per calendar year at any residential location.

Recreational Fires
Recreational Fire Guidelines

Feeding of Deer Prohibited
No person may place any salt, mineral, grain, fruit or vegetable material outdoors on any public or private property for the purpose of feeding whitetail deer.

Site and Property Maintenance Resources

Zoning Code and Map
City of Green Bay Zoning Code
City of Green Bay Zoning Map
City of Green Bay Interactive Map
City of Green Bay Assessor Website 

Resource Name Phone Number Website
Police Department (920) 448-3200 http://www.gbpolice.org/
Municipal Court (920) 448-3131 http://greenbaywi.gov/municourt
Fire Department (920) 448-3280(non-emergency) http://greenbaywi.gov/fire/
Water Utility (920) 448-3480 www.gbwater.org
Brown County Health Department (920) 448-6400 http://www.co.brown.wi.us/departments/?department=fd7fb6bc484c&subdepartment=06e2b912e197
Child Protection (920) 448-6035 http://www.co.brown.wi.us/departments/?department=dd09bd30c78e&subdepartment=80ece04f3290
Adult Protection (920) 448-7885 http://www.co.brown.wi.us/departments/?department=dd09bd30c78e&subdepartment=80ece04f3290
WI Department of Housing & Urban Development (414) 297-3214 http://portal.hud.gov/hudportal/HUD?src=/states/wisconsin
Consumer Protection (800) 422-7128 http://datcp.wi.gov
Tenant Resource Center (877) 238-7368 http://tenantresourcecenter.org/
Legal Action (920) 432-4645 http://www.legalaction.org/
American Red Cross (920) 468-8535 http://www.redcross.org
Salvation Army (920) 497-7053 http://www.salvationarmyusa.org/usn/www_usn_2.nsf
Fair Housing Center of Northeast WI (920) 560-4620(877) 647-3247 to file a complaint http://www.fairhousingwisconsin.com
Crisis Center (920) 436-8888 http://www.familyservicesnew.org/crisis-center
Diggers Hotline (800) 242-8511
WPS 24-Hour Hotline – Electric Outage (800) 450-7240 www.wisconsinpublicservice.com
WPS 24-Hour Hotline – Gas Leak (800) 450-7280 www.wisconsinpublicservice.com


Public Nuisance

28.205(12) – a Public Nuisance
All use or maintenance of building exteriors or surrounding premises which limits the use or enjoyment of neighboring property or which causes or tends to cause diminution of the value of the property of others in the neighborhood in which such premises is located by reason of:Exterior storage of scrap lumber, junk, trash, or other debris, including, without limitation of enumeration, furniture, appliances, farm or manufacturing equipment, building materials, or litter as defined in Section 8.12, Green Bay Municipal Code.

Public Nuisance/Graffiti
Graffiti on walls, fences and structures limits the enjoyment of neighboring properties and is therefore deemed to be a public nuisance. It is the property owner’s responsibility to keep his property graffiti free.

Public Nuisance/Snow
Any placement or diverting of any unreasonable amount of snow or ice onto the property of another, which is so situated as to endanger the public health or safety or creates an unnecessary physical or financial burden is deemed a public nuisance.

Public Nuisance/Obstruction of Right-of-Way
Right-of-way, including but not limited to, streets, sidewalks, and alleys shall not be obstructed (including tree branches).

Public Nuisance/Diverting, Draining or Discharging Soil, Sediment or Other Pullutant to a Storm Sewer of Water Body
The pollution of any public well or cistern, stream, lake, canal, or other body of water by sewage, creamery, industrial wastes or other substances is considered a public nuisance.

If you cannot afford to fix the problem, please consider a loan from the City to help.