Building Inspection

The Building Inspection Division strives to provide the citizens of Green Bay with the highest inspection standards consistent with the adopted codes and regulations.  This is accomplished through the consistent and equitable application of regulations in the built and natural environment through plan review, inspections, enforcement, and the issuance of permits and licenses.

The Building Inspection Division inspects both residential and commercial buildings.  Building Permits are issued for:

Single- and Multi-Family Homes
Apartment Complexes
Commercial Buildings

Building permits are required for most projects except for purely cosmetic projects such as painting and flooring.  An owner/occupant can obtain permits and do their own work.  All rental properties require a licensed contractor to pull the permit and perform the work.  Following is a list of common projects requiring a permit:

  • Siding/Windows/Doors (commercial properties, apartments – 3 units or more, homes in historic district)
  • Driveway paving
  • Sheds
  • Garages
  • Roofing (commercial properties, apartments – 3 units or more, homes in historic district)
  • Electrical wiring
  • Water heater
  • New bathroom
  • Basement remodel
  • Decks/Porches
  • Pools/Spas
  • Raze Buildings
  • Interior Remodel
  • Fence
  • Plumbing Work
  • Temporary Tent Event

It is ultimately the responsibility of the property owner to make sure a permit is obtained.  If you hire a contractor, make sure you see a permit card displayed in your front window before work begins.

Permits are obtained at the Building Inspection Office, City Hall, 100 N. Jefferson Street, Room 610, Monday through Friday, from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.  To obtain a permit, you may need the following:

  1. Site Plan – A site plan is a bird’s eye view of your property drawn to scale showing property lines, buildings, and driveways.  Include as many measurements as possible, especially distances from buildings to the property lines.
  2. Building Plan – For anything involving structural changes or new construction, a framing plan is needed.  Often you can obtain this when you order your lumber, especially for garages and sheds.
  3. Estimated Project Cost
  4. Names of All Contractors – This includes plumbers and electricians, along with state credential numbers, addresses, and phone numbers. All trades permits must be submitted with the Building Permit Application.
  5. Historic Preservation Commission Review – Any property located in the historic district must go before this Commission before building permits for exterior work will be issued.  The Commission meets the second Monday of every month at 4:15 p.m. at City Hall in Room 310.  Please reference the Historic Preservation Commission Permit Process for information on how to get on the agenda.

To schedule an inspection, call (920) 448-3300 between 8:00 AM and 4:00 PM at least one business day prior to inspection date needed.  FINAL INSPECTIONS ARE REQUIRED FOR ALL PROJECTS.  It is the responsibility of whoever pulls the permit to call in inspections.

Erosion Control Permits
Submit application and erosion control plan demonstrating reasonable compliance with Chapter 34, Green Bay Municipal Ordinance and/or DSPS 20.09(4), Department of Safety and Professional Services Uniform Dwelling Code prior to commencing land-disturbing construction or land development activity.