The Inspection Division houses both Building and Housing/Zoning.

Building Inspection

The Building Inspection portion of this Division issues building permits to customers and provides inspections of the work completed to ensure the project is compliant with City code.  It also provides review/approval of site plans.  Please contact our Building Inspection Division via email at or by telephone at (920) 448-3300.

The City of Green Bay has been granted expanded plan review authority by the State of Wisconsin.  The City can provide plan review for all projects requiring State Plan Review except for those plans requiring Department of Health Services (DHS) review and fire protection system approvals.

The City’s submittal requirements are the same as the State’s with minor differences.  The State form SBD-118 is used for submittals.  The lower fee table is used for calculating review fees, and the $100 submittal fee is collected by the City.  The City does not accept electronic plans, and the City does not invoice fees.  Fees for a plan review can be paid with cash, credit card (a 3.5% fee is applied), or by check (made out to the City of Green Bay).

The City has two project permit applications.  The short project permit application form is to be used for driveway expansions, yard sheds, and fences.  The long project permit application form shall be used for all other projects.  All commercial projects shall use the long form.


Housing and Zoning Inspection

The Housing/Zoning division is responsible for questions regarding City ordinances relating to land use, setback requirements, sign permitting, parking requirements on private property, and floodplain determinations.  They address complaints concerning housing condition, simple building code violations, improperly disposal of waste material, litter, and rubbish problems.  The Housing/Zoning Inspector processes applications for variances of the zoning code, issues permits for signs and fences, razing of structures, and building permits for small accessory structures.

The City of Green Bay is committed to maintaining our neighborhoods.  If you have a concern or complaint about your neighborhood, contact us by telephone at (920) 448-3300, by email at, or fill out an online report.