Building permits are required for all construction, including alterations and improvements.  Apply for permits at the Building Inspection office, 100 N. Jefferson Street, Room 610.  Permits are required to approve plans that are in compliance with the building and zoning codes before work begins.  Permits are also very important to ensure quality construction and to have the work inspected for resident safety.  Failure to obtain a building permit may result in the doubling of permit fees, a municpal citation of over $500, and the work ordered redone or removed if in non-compliance.

These projects require a Building Permit Application (short form):

  • Fence
  • Driveway expansion
  • Yard shed

Use the Building Permit Application (long form) for all other building projects.

The following projects require submission of site and building plans:

  • New home construction
  • Additions to homes
  • Decks and porches
  • Detached garages
  • Yard sheds larger than 150 square feet

The following types of projects require a site plan submission:

  • Yard sheds smaller than 150 square feet
  • Swimming pools and outdoor hot tubs
  • Fences
  • Driveway expansions
  • Radio tower
  • Site filling or excavating

The following projects require a floor plan and/or building plan submission:

  • Interior alterations changing floor plan
  • Basement remodeling
  • Structural alterations
  • Stoop, stairs, ramps smaller than 25 square feet, landing

The following projects require a project description:

  • Siding
  • Roofing
  • Window/Door replacement
  • Fireplace or chimney
  • Foundation repair
  • Wrecking buildings
  • Moving buildings



New One and Two Family Residential UDC Permit Information Packet (Revised 08/2017)



Residential Building Permit Short Form (To be used for fences, driveway expansions, and yard sheds only)

Accessory Building (see Residential Building Permit Information Packet)

Addition/Alteration/Repair (see Residential Building Permit Information Packet)

Pool/Spa (see Residential Building Permit Information Packet)

Raze & Requirements


Erosion Control Permit Application

Erosion Control Packet



A structure (whether it is a principal building such as a house or whether it is an accessory structure like a detached garage, shed, or playhouse) may be erected, placed, or maintained in accordance with the minimum yard setback requirements identified below.  A yard setback is the open area on a lot situated between the allowable building area and the property lines.  A permit is required for the erection of any structure on a lot.

The owner is responsible for properly locating all property lines before construction.  See the Building Inspection Department, Assessor, or the Planning Office for a copy of your lot.  Also available online see the Parcel Information Map >> (interactive) for more information.

See Chapter 13 for detailed information including height restrictions, minimum lot area, and building area for the typical single-family zoning district.  See Section 13.23 – Height, Area, & Setback Regulations:  First & Second Residence District.


This is a very general depiction of a complicated code.  It may not reflect actual setbacks for your particular property.  Please contact the Inspection Department at (920) 448-3300 to verify what the required setbacks are on your particular lot.

Plan Review


Site Plan Information Guide

Site Plan Form


Make an Online Payment

Make your payment HERE  (this requires project number from Inspection Department.)

Instructions for Online Payment

Flood Protection

Flood Protection Information

Believe it or not, Green Bay has experienced substantial flooding in the past and will again in the future.  The primary source of this flooding is the high water level of the bay affecting the Fox River, the East River, Mahon Creek, and many smaller creeks and drainage ways.  Intense rainfalls, rapid thawing of ice and snow, and ice dams also cause flooding in areas of the City that normally do not experience flooding.  This is intended to answer some of your questions and offer ideas on what to do in case flooding is a concern to you.

Flood Risk Potential:  Are you aware of your risk for flooding?

Areas adjacent to the bay, rivers, streams, creeks, and drainage ways serve as temporary storage areas for high water.  If you live near or inside one of these areas, you more than likely will be impacted by the high bay levels.  Do you know what measures are needed to protect your property from flooding?

There are many relatively flat areas of the City and areas having unusual drainage patterns.  If you live downslope of an area that drains near or through your property, you could be at risk for flooding.  Would you like to learn more about localized flooding and how to protect your property?

Our parkways, ditches, and stream banks provide effective drainage controls from flooding by providing storage areas for high water or flooding conditions.  However, when people dump or throw garbage, grass clippings, leaves, brush, fallen trees, or other debris in them, drainage ways can become potential sources for flooding.  If you live near a drainage way, report any debris in these areas, and of course, DO NOT DUMP or throw anything into them as it is a violation of Green Bay’s Municipal Ordinance.

City Services:  Did you know that City services are free?

Stop in the Inspection Division office in Room 608 of City Hall at 100 N. Jefferson Street to see if your property is located in one of the mapped Special Flood Hazard Areas.  If it is, you can obtain handouts or talk with an inspector about protecting your property from flooding.

If you would like someone to visit your property to help evaluate your risk of flooding and explain possible ways of stopping or lessening the effects of damage, call the Inspection Division office at (920) 448-3300.

The City periodically inspects the parkways, streams, and drainage ways for accumulations of debris and blockages.  If you have questions about them or wish to report a blocked drainage way, call the Operations Division at (920) 448-3535.

Protecting Your Property

There are several ways to protect a building from flood damage.  Keep flood waters away from your building by re-grading your lot or building a floodwall or earthen berm around your property.  These methods work if your lot is large enough, the flood depth is not too deep, and the property is not in a channel or floodway.

You can also waterproof foundation walls and seal up openings below flood levels, such as windows.  This can be done by replacing them with glass blocks or by raising window wells above potential water levels.

A more permanent solution is to raise the house above flood levels.  A small woodframe house can be elevated for approximately $10,000.  Sound crazy?  Check out the house at 601 Hartung Street.  This house was moved to that location and set on a new foundation that is two feet above the base flood elevation for the area.

Rain and groundwater is clear water that must be kept out of sanitary sewers by law, also known as clear water separation.  Clear water illegally entering sanitary sewers surcharges the sewers during heavy rains, increasing the potential for basement flooding.  Many houses, even those not in a floodplain, have sewers which back up into the basement because of surcharged sewers.  During the 1990 flood, most of the reported basement flooding resulted from water backing up through basement floor drains or from overflowing fixtures located in the basements.  Compounding the problem, electrical power outages left many sump pumps without power and water-filled basements.

Proper installation and maintenance of backwater valves for plumbing fixtures installed below sidewalk grade can help prevent sewer backups.  Backwater valves can be purchased at your local hardware store, or you can talk to a plumbing contractor about installing one for you.

These measures are called floodproofing or retrofitting.  It is important to note that alterations to your building or land may require permits.  Even regrading or filling in the floodplain requires plan approval and land-use permits.

If you are warned of possible flooding, it’s important to take action early.  Shut off gas and electricity and move valuable contents to high ground if possible.  It is unlikely that you will get much advance warning so make a detailed checklist in advance to help ensure you don’t forget anything.

More information can be found at the FEMA >> website.


Chapter 13 – Zoning Code

Chapter 14 – Subdivision & Platting

Chapter 15 – Building Code


To obtain a building permit in the City of Green Bay, a contractor must carry the State of Wisconsin Dwelling Contractor Certification and a Dwelling Contractor Qualifier Certification from the Department of Safety and Professional Services.  Prior to issuing a local building permit on a one- or two-family dwelling, the City will continue to verify that a contracting business owner possesses or employs at least one individual who holds both certifications.  If you have any questions regarding these certifications, contact the State of Wisconsin Licensing Department at (608) 261-8500.

Fee Schedule

Click HERE for the current fee schedule


Monthly Reports





Yearly Summary Yearly Summary Yearly Summary
 December December December
 November November November
 October October October
 September September September
 August  August August August
 July July July July
 June June June June
 May  May May May
April  April April April
March March March March
February  February February February
January January January January


Frequently Asked Questions

Q. I’m new to Green Bay and want to build a home.
A. The City cannot recommend a builder but can offer you a link to the Brown County Home Builders Association and the Realtors Association of Northeast Wisconsin.

Q. Who do I call for defects in my home?
A. If you are a renter, call your landlord and inform them of the problem.  If the problem persists, you may call our office or file an online report.

Q. I want to build a shed.
A. See building setback information above.

Q. How much does a permit cost?
A. Permit costs vary by construction type.  Check out the fee schedule.  This should give you a guide as to how much you need for each project/phase of construction.

Q. Do I need a permit for a shed, fence, or swimming pool?
A. Yes, you need a permit for all of these.  There are requirements you have to follow for location and setback.  Call the Inspection Department at (920) 448-3300 for more specific information.

Q. Do I need a permit for a fire pit?
A. No, but there are rules regarding fire pits.  Read about fire pit regulations.

Q. Do I need a permit for roofing or siding?
A. Yes, but only on a 3 or more unit building or within a historic residential area.  See the fee schedule for costs.

Q. Do I need a building permit for interior remodeling?
A. Generally, no.  If you are replacing kitchen cabinets, for example, you do not need a permit.  However, if you are doing remodeling that requires new plumbing, heating, or electrical work, you will need a permit.  Contact the Inspection Department at (920) 448-3300 for more specific information.

Q. After taking out a permit, when do I call for inspection?
A. Your inspector will inform you when you take out the permit when they should be called to make the inspection(s).

Q. My neighbor’s grass is too long and full of weeds.
A. The Operations Division of Public Works handles these concerns.  Fill out an online report or call (920) 492-3731.

Q. My neighbor put out their garbage, and pickup isn’t until tomorrow.
A. The Operations Division of Public Works handles these concerns.  Fill out an online report or call (920) 492-3731.

Q. My garbage wasn’t picked up today.
A. The Operations Division of Public Works handles these concerns.  Fill out an online report or call (920) 492-3731.

For a comprehensive list of services provided by the City of Green Bay, click here.

If you still have questions, please do not hesitate to call our office at (920) 448-3300.

Other Helpful Resources

To speak to someone regarding your project, please contact the appropriate inspector:

West Side – Steve Terrien, (920) 448-3295,

East Side – Paul Martell, (920) 448-3312,

Commercial – Rob Cormier, (920) 448-3304,